What are we looking for?

 


When he had gone out, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and glorify him at once. Little children, yet a little while I am with you. You will seek me, and just as I said to the Jews, so now I also say to you, ‘Where I am going you cannot come.’ John 13:31–33 (ESV)

In this passage, near the beginning of a 5 chapter section as Jesus goes on to discuss Christian community, abiding in Christ, and even His high priestly prayer, I was caught by four simple words: "you will seek me".

It was written as an assumption for those that are His disciples, and it remains true today for us - but the question is, do we?

Do we seek after our interest, our peace, our joy, our satisfaction, our pleasure, our contentment, our understanding, our perspective ... 

... or do we simply seek Him?

Do we try to understand God with our own lens of who we think He is or who He should be? Or do we simply submit to Him and His Word?

I remember watching my dad and my son get excitied as they were looking for a simple oncoming truck in hopes to get a good sounding of that big horn! It was fun! Yet He is infinately more holy and fulfilling - do we even seek him as much as that?

So many other passages that would cover this subject more deeply, yet He speaks through them all ...

His,

~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts