Urgency and Burden



I find that the longer I walk with Him the greater the burden becomes. Not out of guilt, shame, or some act of trying to earn His acceptance – but out of … urgency.

I had a conversation recently with some friends/brothers in Christ around the topic of working for His Kingdom – and what that may look like. While certainly (and probably obviously) that may look different when it comes to specifics for each of us – we shared some thoughts about our own professional careers and families that He called us to. We acknowledged that working for the Lord and bringing Him glory can certainly be done in the workplace – when our hearts are set on doing just that.


So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31)


As a husband and father, I also have a ministry in those regards. If I’m claiming to be seeking after the LORD but neglecting my wife and children, what good is that? And worse, Scripture has some very harsh warnings for me if I neglect the needs of my family, or treat my wife in a dishonoring way – He may not even listen to my prayers (1 Peter 3:7).


So no doubt, honoring God in the way we work (occupationally) and in our own homes is indeed a “ministry” …


Yet we know it doesn’t stop there … we should not settle for walking with the LORD at work and home as our only mission here, amidst a broken and lost world. We must not be content with limiting our role to our closest circles - after all, the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20) commands us to do otherwise …


… and as I’m wrestling with those feelings, and trying to put them into words, I opened Habakkuk to read (simply as it was next on my reading plan). It opens like this …

Comments

Popular Posts