He is LORD

 Do we follow Him out of wanting something, or because He is LORD? Here what Malachi and Luke has to say.

In Luke 6 Jesus tells us many things, including His well-known story of the man who built his house on the rock compared to the man who built his house on the sand. The lesson was on obedience, not just faith. The difference was one listened and obeyed, and the other did not. One experienced a storm, yet was not destroyed - and the other saw everything washed away.


This story opens with a simple and very convicting question from Jesus Himself: “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?" - Luke 6:46


What a penetrating question to ask ourselves in the mirror.


Reading through Malachi today, this question was echoed to the corrupt priests of the time - those that claimed to follow God but were far from Him.


“A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If then I am a father, where is my honor? And if I am a master, where is my fear? says the LORD of hosts to you, O priests, who despise my name." - Malachi 1:6 (emphasis added)


So where are we? Where is our obedience ... our honor being directed ... our fear and reverence being given?


For those that do direct it where deserved, a beautiful reminder is also painted by Malachi towards the end of the book:


Then those who feared the LORD spoke with one another. The LORD paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the LORD and esteemed his name. “They shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him. Malachi 3:16–18 (ESV)


May we choose wisely.


His,

~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts