Mesmerized

 I've often had thoughts about the beauty and power of fire - but after hearing a story today, I have a new favorite!



I love staring at a fire … at least one under control! There’s something peaceful - yet powerful and profound about it all …


I’ve often reflected (and even wrote) about fire as a metaphor in Scripture. Refining, all-consuming, holy, eternal, among many more comparisons … yet today I heard a story that will make me ponder that flickering strange sight even more. A friend’s nephew recently shared a story during his testimonial (one that started at 9 years old with a malignant brain tumor and years later continues with him glorifying God and pressing forward towards serving in ministry)!


He shared a story about him and a friend sitting by a bonfire together. He sat there, staring into the fire, and after a while his friend asked him a question. He asked, “What are you doing?” To which he replied that he was just staring at the fire, because he liked to, as it is mesmerizing to him. To which after a moment his friend replied, “maybe that’s how we’re supposed to be with God”.


Amen and amen … !


So often we approach God with a list of things to say … sometimes ask. Heck, sometimes we even stay long enough to actually pause for a moment and listen! We are often so … shallow, aren’t we?


Oh what a beautiful picture to have those times where we just sit with Him … and gaze at Him … just simply being mesmerized by Him in all His glory!


I have a feeling for a while each time I start those logs in the fireplace, or in the back yard, or even at a campground … that I will remember this … and be reminded to take those moments (and hopefully many many moments) to just sit before my Almighty God in mesmerizing awareness of Him …


Behold Him church,

~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts