Psalm 6 - Suffering

 Psalm 6 is a powerful reminder that a life with God is not free from suffering.

I have often said that one of the roots of much of our (my) anxiety, depression, and struggles, are rooted in false perspective.


While we claim we know it, I feel that we let ourself believe that a life with Christ will be free from suffering. While in certain respects, repenting from sin will indeed free us from much of what could afflict us and others, suffering for and with Christ is something that is part of our life here on this broken earth.


Psalm 6:6–7


I am weary with my moaning;

every night I flood my bed with tears;

I drench my couch with my weeping.

My eye wastes away because of grief;

it grows weak because of all my foes. (ESV)



David, a man who through struggles and sin continued to submit to the LORD, who is often cited as a "man after God's own heart", and finds himself in the middle of the promised line of the messiah, still found himself weeping, filled with grief, and attacked by others.


Sometimes we are suffering due to our own sinful and poor decisions, no doubt ... as did David. Yet many times we suffer because we simply will suffer - in His sovereign plan, and by His sovereign Hand - but suffer nonetheless.


Yet may we never forget, like David reminds us, that we don't suffer alone and without purpose. Even in this Psalm we see David write a couple verses later:




Psalm 6:9


The LORD has heard my plea;

the LORD accepts my prayer. (ESV)



May we suffer well when the time comes ... knowing He hears, He cares, and we most certainly are not alone ...


~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts