Reading? Reading.

 


Just last night I was reading through some of the Psalms (those that were on my reading plan for that week). I found myself after reading a few Psalms with little engagment. Gleaning nothing. Words on a page ...


Oh how apparent it is when we approach Scripture, the Word of God, like we do a common book, the words of men.


After a brief moment of reptentance, I prayed - and called on the Holy Spirit to be my guide - illuminating what I can't illuminate.


I started the next Psalm, 84 stopping after verse 2 ...


How lovely is your dwelling place,

O LORD of hosts!

My soul longs, yes, faints

for the courts of the LORD;

my heart and flesh sing for joy

to the living God.


Does my soul long for You LORD? Faint for you? Am I desperate for You, or am I just confident in my own self?


I got to verse 4 ...


Blessed are those who dwell in your house,

ever singing your praise!


Oh how I often take for granted where and with Whom I dwell. Oh how often I stifle praise with complaining and grumbling ...


I stopped again at verse 5 ...


Blessed are those whose strength is in you,

in whose heart are the highways to Zion.


I love the NKJV translation here on that latter half: "Whose heart is set on pilgrimage"


Do I recognize this in me? Is my heart set on this world, or is its posture that of a pilgrim on a journey?


Stopped again at verse 10 ...


For a day in your courts is better

than a thousand elsewhere.

I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God

than dwell in the tents of wickedness.


Do I really feel that a day with Him is better than a millinum anywhere else. That being a servant for Him far exceeds any rich dwelling or treatment as a guest of honor? If I do - how is this Truth reflected in my life?


Stopped again at verse 11 ...


For the LORD God is a sun and shield;

the LORD bestows favor and honor.

No good thing does he withhold

from those who walk uprightly. (ESV)


A sun and shield? What a picture of glory, might, power, and love. Do I see Him as such?


I stopped one more time at verse 12, but only because that was the last verse!


O LORD of hosts,

blessed is the one who trusts in you! (ESV)


... oh and that's the one there. Do we really trust Him like we ought? We often say we do - but imagine if our thoughts were open to others around us, I wonder what they would see. I wonder if they would read our thoughts and see our trust in Him - or are we leaning on our own understanding?


All this to remind us to read His word not just daily - but with focus. With a heart open and the Holy Spirit guiding us - not with just intent to get through our daily reading. Never does it fail to produce fruit when I read like this - yet my flesh constantly tempts me elsewhere ...


Be well family - God bless.


His,

~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts