Reflections from Joshua 4-6



Today’s blog entry is an excerpt from my daily journal that I thought would be worth sharing. I hope it encourages you as it did me. 

Scripture Passage: Joshua 4-6 (NKJV)

  • Joshua 5:13: “And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted his eyes and looked, and behold, a Man stood opposite him with His sword drawn in His hand. And Joshua went to Him and said to Him, ‘Are You for us or for our adversaries?’”

  • Joshua 6:18: “And you, by all means, abstain from the accursed things, lest you become accursed when you take of the accursed things, and make the camp of Israel a curse, and trouble it.”

  • Joshua 6:26: “Then Joshua charged them at that time, saying, ‘Cursed be the man before the Lord who rises up and builds this city Jericho; he shall lay its foundation with his firstborn, and with his youngest he shall set up its gates.’”

Thoughts & Reflections: Three things stood out to me in these chapters:

  1. In Joshua 5:13, we witness a Christophany where the Lord is holding a drawn sword. This image, which also appears elsewhere in Scripture, serves as a stark reminder that our Lord is on the offense, not the defense. It’s hard not to connect this sword with the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. The Word is powerful and life-changing, both for myself and others, and I need to take it out to those in desperate need of it.

  2. In Joshua 6:18, we see how victory can easily lead to temptation and sin, as the people were tempted to take things they were not supposed to take. It’s a reminder that even in our victories and mountaintop experiences, we can be tempted by pride, forgetting that we are always weak in the flesh.

  3. Finally, in Joshua 6:26, there is a warning not to rebuild new sin upon old sin. This brings to mind the parable Jesus told about the man who swept his house, only to have demons return even stronger. We must strive to fight and destroy sin in our lives, and instead, build upon them the memorial stones of Christ.

Applying Biblical Principles to Life: The most significant principle for me is remaining strong during good times and victories. I must not let my guard down or neglect my relationship with the Lord—His Word, and time in prayer. The more time I spend with myself, my thoughts, and my own mind, the weaker I become.

Prayer: Lord, continue to draw me to Yourself because I will not naturally be drawn to things of the Spirit. My flesh will constantly pull me away, and I need You to keep me and secure me to Yourself. I am prone to wander, Lord; I feel it. Keep me secure.

Gratitude & Praise: Lord, I always will remember the greatest gift that I’ve been given of all, and that is my own salvation. I was absolutely dead in my sin, and You reshaped my heart and desires. I am eternally thankful to You, and may my life reflect more of that gratitude and praise.

Comments

Popular Posts