Unstill


Pulling aside at lunch today allowed me to not do a few things ...

  • I didn't work at my desk through lunch.
  • I didn't go on a short run or walk.
  • I didn't go birding.
  • I didn't even crack open by bible, study, or other materials.

I pulled my car over in a nearby park, rolled open the moonroof, and just sat in His presence ...


' "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"' - Psalms 46:10

We can get into some very important theological points about this verse. Namely 2 things come to mind ...

  • Being still is not about doing nothing; it's an "active waiting" as supported elsewhere in Scripture.
  • This verse highlights that in our stillness He above all is exalted! Our stillness brings Him glory!

But you know what it also means?

Be still! 
   Stop!
      Be!

I noticed in this brief 30 minutes of being still one very critical thing ...

   I haven't been very still.

I have often thought that my time birding, or taking quiet walks in the woods, was my way of being still before God. I can enjoy the quiet of nature, sun, and the rustling of leaves and sounds of birds ... 

It's relaxing - it's recharging - it's fun - it's even important for me ... 

But that's not being still.

I was trying so hard to hear God speak in that time, and it became very apparent that what I have been desperately lacking is just listening in the stillness of being with Him. 

I need this daily ... even if it's just for 15 minutes ... 

      And no multi-tasking! ... 

While I can and do enjoy my times of prayer while running, walking, or birding, this is not the same as being still with Him ... that reminder became very clear today ... 

Even the study of His Word (which is vitally important) can't replace simply being with Him ... 

It was so refreshing ... and opened my eyes (or confirmed some thoughts) about how much excess noise I let into my life (namely social media). While it can be potentially positive, it can also be potentially destructive to my peace in various areas.

So ... *breathes in* ... time to reclaim some lost ground ... an ongoing battle for me ... but at least I know where to [re]start ... by being still ... 

His,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts