Empty Things


So, our microwave died ... kaput ... finito ... done ... !

So now we have a decision to make ... buy a new one (we really don't use it that much) or reclaim the space for something else! Perhaps some other kitchen tools we use frequently that we can keep more handy ... not sure.

However, I was a bit concerned about it becoming filled with useless things ... it's now empty, swept clean, and ready for ... something ...

Then, my mind started going to this passage ... a warning ...

'"When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none. Then it says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation." ' - Matthew 12:43-45

There is a whole lot going on in this passage! No time to unpack this all in the moment, but one thing sticks out to me ... it's Easter ... and a great time to think of empty things ... like the tomb! Yet it's also a time where many commit to Him, or recommit to Him, or are simply reminded of things that need to be swept clean from our life, and nailed to the cross ... but without Him, we can do nothing ... if we sweep, and say to the enemy, "I will fight you!" ... then the battle rages fiercely, and we will lose!

Voids cannot remain unfilled ... we either fill them with things of this world, ourselves, and risk being consumed by the enemy ... or allow ourselves to be filled with Him.

Jesus didn't stay in the tomb ... and He doesn't want us to stay in our tomb ... let us break free, allow Him to sweep us clean, but then take the most important step, allow HIM to come into our swept and empty self so He can fill us with the Holy Spirit ... against which no enemy shall prevail!

“I’m not afraid of the devil. The devil can handle me – he’s got judo I never heard of. But he can’t handle the One to whom I’m joined; he can’t handle the One to whom I’m united; he can’t handle the One whose nature dwells in my nature. ” - A. W. Tozer

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts