"A Way Out" Mentality



So there's this passage in Matthew 19 that speaks of divorce ... however it's not the topic that struck me, it's the response, so hang with me a bit ... here's essentially how it goes ...

(Pharisees enter the scene in their never-ending pursuit to try and get Jesus to say or do something wrong)

Pharisees: Dude, is it OK to get a divorce?

Jesus: That's wasn't God's plan, you know the deal.

Pharisees: Yeah, but, Moses said we could! (probably in an Episode IV Luke Skywalker voice)

Jesus: Moses said that because your hearts were as hard as rocks, but that was never the plan. And even at that, it's not just for any reason.

THEN ...

'The disciples said to him, "If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry." ' - Matthew 19:10

Did you catch that?

For one, this was the response from the disciples, not the pharisees, and secondly ... well ... they essentially said this:

If there's not a way out, then I don't want to get involved. Better that way.

Wow, really guys?!

However before I get on my soapbox ... isn't that a motto for how we so often live as cowards in various areas of our lives? Whatever the commitment ...

Makes me really take pause to rethink the areas in my life that I'm on the fence ...

"Well, what if that goes wrong? Is it really worth it?"

If God is calling us to it ... it's worth it ...

Lord, help me to not have a "Way Out" faith ...


Comments

Popular Posts