Psalm 91


Psalm 91 must be one of my most marked up Psalms in my bible! Yet it reminds me still …

Even though we say we “know this”, I think there is some subconscious belief that life with Christ will somehow mitigate us from life’s troubles and pain … He is present, He guides, He hides us, and He guards … but let us not mistake protecting and guarding us as removing us from said troubles and pain. In fact, it’s the process of sanctification that can use these troubles and pain that we should rest in as much as the promises that we cling to …

After all, do loving and wise parents shelter their children, or in their best wisdom, do they lovingly guide, guard, and expose them as they are ready?

Anyway, I think Psalm 91 (a beautiful psalm full of love and words of encouragement) actually highlights this very thing. While this Psalm expresses how much God will be there for us when we need, it declares just that … that we “will” need Him.

I read words in this Psalm like Him delivering me, covering me, protecting me, answering me, rescuing me, honoring me, satisfying me, and showing me …

These promises would not be needed if we didn’t need to be covered, protected, were waiting in silence, needing rescue, experiencing dishonor, panging for satisfaction, and being felt like we are in the dark …

He doesn’t promise that we will not experience this, in fact He promises that we will … but we will also experience Him.

Is this Truth easy for me to rest in? No … I want a trial free life … I do (at least that’s what my flesh wants) … but I know that He works in the most difficult of times, because I have experienced that … many times over …

Comments

Popular Posts