Refuge


"... blessed are all who take refuge in Him." (Psalm 2:12)

I was thinking when I read this ... "Do I really take refuge in Him?"

I mean - as someone that struggles with control - am I really running to Him, or do I wrestle with trying to create my own refuge?

Interesting that the definition, pictured here, states: "A "condition" of being safe ... "

A condition ...

I am either in refuge ... or I am not ... another thought for another day ... anyway ...

What do you need to take refuge from?

The definition here offers things like pursuit, danger, or trouble ... for me, the word temptation came to mind. To be in refuge, safe from temptation ... it's a battle I seem to fight often (in various ways).

Interesting though how Matthew 18:7 actually states that temptation is "necessary" ... certainly not the sin it produces (that passage is followed with strict visual warnings about how seriously to think of sin). Yet ... the temptation is necessary ... it produces endurance ...

... which reminds me of another passage that struck me today when I read it differently for the first time:

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to _________ ." 1 Cor 10:13

... able to what? Did I read that correctly?

... able to "endure it"?

Don't get me wrong (let me be very clear here!) ... we are not called to run to temptation, embrace it, and cover ourselves with it and then expect God to help ... that is foolishness. We turn from sin ... and steer as far clear from temptation as we can.

... but ... He will allow it (to a point) ...

After all, there are times where it may simply be unavoidable ... we may not be called to seek out temptation, but it will certainly seek us out ... but the promise is that He will give us a way out ... and perhaps this is another perspective on what will take us full circle ... His Refuge ...

Perhaps for me, and you, we just need to change our palate ... our palate for what we crave ...

Reminds me of a song ...

"Oh, I'm not here for blessings
Jesus, You don't owe me anything
More than anything that You can do
I just want You" - Cody Carnes

May we pray for a changed palate to crave one thing and one thing alone ...

Him ... our Refuge ...

Comments

Popular Posts