Power in the Name


Reading through Matthew 8:28-34 is a fascinating passage ... we run into two subjects, that when seeing Jesus during an unexpected visit to the countryside, immediately respond in some interesting ways.


  • They recognized Him as the "son of God".
  • They feared Him.
  • They submitted to Him.
  • They actually spoke of His 2nd coming, knowing the fate of the world. (Why are you here "before the time?", they asked)
  • They knew they were not on the winning side, and would rather perish now than be around during what was to come.
They walked right into the King of Kings ... the Lord of Lords ... are were sent into a panic.


We see a similar interaction during different encounters too (with others, not these two). In fact, I think if we honest, these subjects recognize, fear, and submit to His authority more than we do ... though not with love ... as they are not His ...

Who were these subjects? Demons ...

They cower in fear at the sight of the Son of God ... the subjects that often try and torment us, those we love, and others around us ...

May we never forger that there indeed is power in the Name ... I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know Who holds tomorrow ... may we rest in His power and presence in our lives ... and may the demons flee ...

“I’m not afraid of the devil. The devil can handle me – he’s got judo I never heard of. But he can’t handle the One to whom I’m joined; he can’t handle the One to whom I’m united; he can’t handle the One whose nature dwells in my nature.” - A.W. Tozer

Comments

Popular Posts