Repairs and Reminders


Ironic how we think we have so much "control" over our schedule and priorities at times. Sure, we make plans, but we don't have the final word. You may think your evening is about to come to a relaxing end as you pour a beverage, start seasoning the salmon for dinner, and glance at the fireplace giving off that nice warm glow ...

... then one little rubber washer decides that it has given up on life, and derails your plans with incessant gushing of water in your only full bathroom! Upon investigating you are reminded that the house is ... old ... and ... unique! Water shutoffs are not where they are supposed to be, and parts are ... well ... different! It seems every home project contains a similar theme: "Hmm - that is not what I expected to see!"

And today? "Well, we don't have that washer - I haven't seen that one before!"

Neat!

But alas, I'm good now - and thankful for His hand on mine with the calmness, patience, and understanding I asked Him for last night.

It could be a washer ... it could be a virus ... it could be a phone call ... 

We just don't know.

But this I do know ... one day like that rubber washer, this body will give out too. I will stand before the judgment seat of Christ, slain by the law, but redeemed in His Blood. I plead guilty ... there is no way I, or any of us, can live up to righteously standing before a Holy God. Yet my Holy and Just God, needing to place sentence on the crimes is also a God of Love and Mercy ... so much so that He spilled His own blood so the covenant could be satisfied (so much amazing truth here). We broke our end of the deal. A deal we really could never keep ... yet one that so many (even me at times) think we can strive to achieve and earn ... 

The story was always this way - from the slaying on mount Sinai with the law, to the redemption through faith alone ... He is so good!

Thank you Lord that a washer on my finger can remind me of your sovereign Hand, how frail life really is, and how solid and secure we are if we refuge in You!


His,

Matthew


Comments

Popular Posts