Love? Love!


The love I have for my wife surpasses so many things ... in fact, it's my love for her that causes some conflicts! Defending her, fighting for her, putting her ahead of many things (sometimes even God) ... 

It is this that I'm reminded of when I read the verse below ... 

But, as it is written, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him"-  - 1 Corinthians 2:9

So often I hear Christians use this verse as a "claim" on God's blessings for them. While this is very dangerous to claim, rather that trying to argue over interpretation, let's just hang out around the word Love for now ... 

"... for those who love him."

Do we? Do you?

I don't love my wife perfectly - hardly - but you would not know me and "wonder" who my wife was ... "wonder" what role she played ... "wonder" if I loved her ... "wonder" if I would talk to her or spend time with her ... and if you really knew me, you wouldn't "wonder" how deep my love for her was, or what I would do to defend her, support her, or sacrifice for her ... 

So how does God stack up against that love I have for her?

When I read 1 Corinthians 2:9 I don't raise my hands in victory to claim the blessings of Almighty God ... I read that verse and am convicted ... I don't feely guilt or shame, but it does cause me to pause and think, "God, I want to love you like that."

... then ... we can look deeper at what that verse really means. What God may have in store for us ... what God may have prepared for us ... because it may not be what we think ... but when we love Him, whatever it may be, it is oh so good ... even if the package it's wrapped in looks a bit ... confusing.

May we love Him first ... and always ...

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts