Conflict Resolution


'He waited seven days, the time appointed by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal, and the people were scattering from him. So Saul said, "Bring the burnt offering here to me, and the peace offerings." And he offered the burnt offering. ' - 1 Samuel 13:8-9

This did not end well for Saul ... at all.

I'm sure more background may help, but suffice it to say that it was not Saul's place to make this call, and make an offering to God in this way. See, at the end of the day, even though his expectations were not met, he seemed to be losing hope, he seemed to be losing control (and support), God's Word is still God's Word ... 

Additionally, not much further later, we get even more clarification on following religious practices in contrast to disobedience ...

'And Samuel said, "Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord ? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams.' - 1 Samuel 15:22

So how does this relate to me? Well ... this IS me ... FAR too often ...

I have control issues!

At work, I seem to be able to manage it fairly well ... we have a team, objectives, issues surface, we work, we fix ... it's never perfect, but we seem to get it done ...

Yet "life" doesn't work that way ... "life" doesn't come in packages or assignments, that we get to analyze, discuss, and work on together ...

So how is this managed in my personal life? That's a whole different story. I loath conflict in my personal life ... to the point where I either try to control things, or avoid them - neither of those are very godly!

... and this world is getting FILLED with conflict, judgement, defensiveness, authority, entitlement, rash words, stress ... it all just feeds this battle I struggle with. Social media and quick electronic communication is the fountain of life for this stuff ... hence why my first reaction is to try to avoid it ... and when I see it coming, just duck, steer clear, and move on. Alternatively, when it hits, as expectations are not met, things start going out of control, like Saul, I try to fix it myself ... and fix it now!

... phew ... it's exhausting ... unhealthy ... stressful ...

What does this cause? Stuff like this picture ... on the outside I try to look all together ... but on the inside ... storms rage ...

Oh LORD help me to lean not on my own understanding ... trust your Good Hand ... engage when needed in love, and trust You with the outcome.

Comments

Popular Posts