Some Anchors We are Meant to Raise ...


Now that is an anchor, eh! A mighty work by man, created to keep some of the biggest ships in place! Even during a storm! However ... let me get back to that ...

First, the storms ...

How do I often approach them?

With fear ... or hope?
With doubt ... or expectation?

Do I remember my past, and the steps of faith I took in other trials and storms ... or do I lean on my own history of self-sufficiency?

Do I make room for the Holy Spirit to move and show me the impossible made possible? Or am I thinking I need to be smart, safe, and in control ...

Well, how did David approach his giant?

'And David said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and the Lord be with you!" ' - 1 Samuel 17:37

It wasn't "The Giant" to him ...
It wasn't "The Big Trial" to him ...
It wasn't "The Moment he Was Waiting For!" ...

... it simply was ... "the next giant" ... "the next trial" ... "the next moment" ...

So often, we see a storm coming, and as the alarm bells go off, we drop the big anchor, and get ready for the storm to hit! We hold the wheel so tightly until our knuckles are white, and unless God in His Sovereign will needs to tear our anchor away from that boat (which He can and will at times do) we hold on with all our might and face the storm in our own strength!

We forget the past and His faithfulness ...

... or maybe that's the problem, our past is not filled with stories of us trusting God, but us trusting in ourselves ... a history of asking God to "help us" ... instead of ... well ... a history of watching God be God in our lives ... a history of seeking to bring Him glory ...

... it's no wonder sometimes I'm so beaten bruised, and exhausted ... what an unnecessary fight!

... always challenging words to write, as it is through the trials that I'm tested to show my own faithfulness ... may I be reminded not to drop anchor and hold fast ... but lift it, and let His Holy Spirit guide my sails ... whether it be around the storm ... or right into it ...

Lord, increase my faith ...

Comments

Popular Posts