Obedience to Fortune


Reading through Numbers I got to a well known story starting in Chapter 22; the story of Balaam, who was commissioned (paid) by Balak to curse God's people in hopes to be rid of them. One of the earlier passages really perplexed me for a while (and no, it wasn't about the talking donkey - that one actually doesn't really perplex me - but that's for another post!), it was an earlier passage - and I'll explain (hopefully shortly) - but first the passage:

God said to Balaam, “You shall not go with them. You shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.” So Balaam rose in the morning and said to the princes of Balak, “Go to your own land, for the LORD has refused to let me go with you.” So the princes of Moab rose and went to Balak and said, “Balaam refuses to come with us.”

Once again Balak sent princes, more in number and more honorable than these. And they came to Balaam and said to him, “Thus says Balak the son of Zippor: ‘Let nothing hinder you from coming to me, for I will surely do you great honor, and whatever you say to me I will do. Come, curse this people for me.’” But Balaam answered and said to the servants of Balak, “Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the command of the LORD my God to do less or more. So you, too, please stay here tonight, that I may know what more the LORD will say to me.” And God came to Balaam at night and said to him, “If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only do what I tell you.” So Balaam rose in the morning and saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab. (Numbers 22:12–21 ESV)

The reason this perplexed me is because shortly after this, God heavily rebuked Balaam for going ... in fact right after this passage we read: "But God’s anger was kindled because he went..."

But didn't God just tell him to go? Didn't Balaam seem to want to honor God with his decision? Well, it seems not really ... 

Later passages (even outside Numbers) reveal the heart of Balaam (i.e. 2 Peter 2:15, Joshua 13:22) ... essentially a 'hired diviner' seeking gain from sin. Yet even with this knowledge I wanted (and struggled) to see what went wrong in this moment for Balaam. I understand he wasn't on the right side, but in "this" passage - what happened?

The answer is simple - and reveals how little we know of sin, obedience, and the holiness of God. Maybe this stands out to you (like it does to me now) very clearly - and that is a wonderful thing!

God did not tell him to go.

But He did you may say!

No, He let him go after he asked a second time - and was going to use this blunder for His glory regardless - but the exchange goes like this:

Balaam Asked.
God said No.
(Something Happened)
Balaam Asked Again.

What was that something?

Well - look at the Text. Balak sent more princes (both in number and honor) and I'm sure some nice loot to go along with this 2nd plea for help as well. To which Balaam responds ... "Hmm ... well ... God did say no ... but ... let me check again to REALLY make sure He meant no."

Why did he bother even asking again? This was not because of a revelation from God, not because some prophet came to speak to him, not because of some internal conviction by the Spirit ... no ... because an internal conviction of greed - more honor and bling showed up.

Earlier I mentioned that this reveals how little we know of true holiness and true obedience to God ... at least for me. We can read past this so many times, and should simply be stopped in our tracks and think to ourselves "Balaam, God said no. Full stop. You don't need to ask again!"

Now, for those of us that understand this (now or always) when reading this passage, what does that mean for us today?

I may not be a medium, or a diviner of other gods, or seeking money to make off God - but I still know unfortunately what it means to not walk in full obedience to God. We may not have direct revelation of God, but we have His enduring Word to read and follow.

May this be a reminder for us how easy it is to walk in weak faith, not trusting the things that God clearly has spoken in His Word. May we cling to His promises (and His commands!) repenting from our sin, and resting in the freedom of forgiveness through Christ Alone. May we always be found striving to walk in obedience and not trying to resist the Holy Spirit as He sanctifies us during this journey.

Be well church!

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts