Excessive Generosity


Oh what a beautiful picture this is! A collection was taken from the congregation, not out of command, but only from those being stirred in heart and spirit to give. And what do we see?

'And they received from Moses all the contribution that the people of Israel had brought for doing the work on the sanctuary. They still kept bringing him freewill offerings every morning, so that all the craftsmen who were doing every sort of task on the sanctuary came, each from the task that he was doing, and said to Moses, "The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the Lord has commanded us to do." So Moses gave command, and word was proclaimed throughout the camp, "Let no man or woman do anything more for the contribution for the sanctuary." So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more. '  - Exodus 36:3-7
The giving was so great that they had to be "restrained" ... generosity in excess ... excessive generosity!

I would love to see the church today be known as excessively generous! What a testimony to the world in such dire need of hope that what we cling to is not of this world!

Yet, when reading Scripture, I'm reminded that this is not just some book of stories, facts, lessons, and tips ... it's not "Christian self-help" or great lessons for me to point out to others ... it is true that the Word speaks to us personally, individually, and is alive and active ... yet ultimately it reveals who God is ... and Who's I am.

So then, what about this passage speaks to me in that context?

Generosity ... God is generous ... excessively generous! He calls me to be excessively generous as well ... after all, I am created in His image ... I bear His mark ... and I don't want to just sit back and long for "seeing" generosity in the church ... I want to enjoy "being" generous ...

May I continue to be a better steward of my finances, time, and talents, so that I can see excessive generosity in my life ... all for His glory as it simply reflects Who He is!

His,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts