Why I Read

 


I was reflecting recently about the time I have been devoting to reading. For many, it is like any recreation, in that it's time we exchange from our life to enjoy any hobby or discipline. Yet while there is nothing inherently wrong with reading purely for recreation, I personally spend a majority of my reading (even outside Scripture) in non-fiction, mostly Christian theological works.

I was pondering the cost-benefit analysis, and really trying to imagine if all that time was worth it. I felt it was, but I was trying to put it into words. For me, my hope is not head knowledge, it's heart change; specifically to be made more into the image of Christ.

Even though as I think past the books I have read, I honestly have only gleaned a little from each one. Sure, some more than others, but outside the Bible, it's simply gleaning for a few grapes to add to my basket. Yet that's OK, and it reminds me of a John Piper quote:

"Books don't change people; paragraphs do. Sometimes even sentences."

I know God is the author and source of change, yet He uses all things to change us. Some references to that effect:

Isaiah 64:8 (ESV) - "But now, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Romans 8:28 (ESV) - "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Psalm 139:13-14 (ESV) - "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."

Philippians 1:6 (ESV) - "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

So I eagerly look forward to and continue to enjoy all the writings of those who have gone before us (and some walking alongside us today) in this pilgrimage toward the Celestial City.

One thing I plan to try and do in the future is pray before every book I begin, and finish. Committing it to the Holy Spirit to guide that I may forget what is false, remember what is True, and joyfully be slowly shaped by His Word, and the work of His other children in our family.

Soli Deo Gloria,

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts