Work - Rest - Work

Work! At least before ... well .. yeah!

There is much focus on the sabbath for Christians - or perhaps some may say not enough. This sabbath - meaning 'cessation' - to stop - is a day for us to pause our daily activities and rest. This is more than just resting physically, but to rest in Him - in His presence.

With the world economy, job schedules, and even those that serve on ministry - the day itself may not be the same - but we are still called (rather commanded) to rest ... 

This model was given to us by God - hardly because He was weary and needed to rest - but He knew we would be. It was a model for us to be reminded to slow down, stop, and renew and refresh ourselves with Him.

However in reading the Creation Story again this morning, I was drawn to the Text not for the reason of rest - but for the reason of work.

In Genesis 2:2 we read: 

"And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done."

I found it interesting that all the "work that He did" was mentioned twice - as if bookends - around the institution of the sabbath.

We WORK, then rest, because we WORK ... 

Work is a gift from God - and I've often been reminded about trying to be a better and better steward of God's time that He has given me in the context of work. How I work for my employer, how I serve my family, how I serve at church ... 

I think rest is even sweeter and more blessed when we have done good work ... 

Often the best medicine for my anxious and troubled heart is to serve Him well and faithfully. When I lay my head down (for my daily rest) nothing quite gives me the satisfaction of a "job well done" as when I live my life honorably for His Name ... at work, at home, abroad ... 

So Christian ... rest well! Rest well indeed ... but don't forget to work well, so that your rest will be even sweeter.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts