Identification

 

For about 10 years I traveled for work a handful of times a year to various places across the globe. I was very sure to keep my passport safe during the journey as I didn't want to lose that piece of identification! In a close 2nd place was probably my little stuffed friends (ok, my children's stuffed friends!) that I kept close, but that is another story for another time! Oh the adventures Sammy, Spots, Shelly and others had ... 

Anyway, I digress ... !

Reading through Genesis, in particular chapter 27, we see another type of identification.

Jacob and Esau fight for the birthright blessing, fearing/despising each other for the prize, their mother Rebekah fans this battle into flame as the instigator, Esau wanting Jacob dead over it, and even Rebekah's thought at the end of the chapter, how she speaks of loathing her life if Esau rebels against her direction in marriage.

It's a mess ... 

Let us not mistake the importance of birthrights, or obedience, or a desire for our children to follow the LORD - yet that is not what was happening there. The focus was not on the ordinance or command from the LORD, but rather pride, affirmation, and identification in the wrong things.

I want a blessing ...
I want it more ...
I will be embarrassed if ...
I will hate myself if ...
I will hate him if ... 

A lot of wanting and wills not of the LORD ... 

Oh how this speaks of our own identity crises we have today! We get lost in ourselves, and there is only One we need to get lost in ... or rather found in. May we stop trying to seek the affirmation of this world and simply seek Him. Our identity is in Christ, and that is sufficient.

Be well church.

His,
~Matt

On a side note, if you have the time, consider this book by Matthew Henry. This version is great as it has as great intro into from J. I. Packer that really sets up Henry's writing. Solid and encouraging book on how a life of duty, is actually a life of delight ... 



Comments

Popular Posts