Jesus is not a Bill of Goods


(Migrated from a FB Post on 28-JUN-2019)

A bit longer of a post than usual, but I’m between meetings, jacked up on coffee, and coming off a filling morning as my buddy Chris and I started the day early sharing life and God, so I’m a bit long winded at the moment!

Anyway, after talking with Marceen on my way to work, and reflecting on those around us that are struggling (physically, emotionally, and spiritually) it really reminded me of how much I see others, and myself if I’m not watchful, selling Jesus like a bill of goods …

Do you want to be free from anxiety? Come to Jesus … Do you want to be healed from your cancer? Come to Jesus … Do you want help with whatever is plaguing you? Come to Jesus …

Of course we should come to Him … and He certainly has walked with me through my most difficult times, including anxiety, relational struggles, and many other things … but that’s the thing, while sometimes He has delivered me from them (praise God!), mostly He just walks with me through them …

If we come to Him because we want something, other than God Himself, we are missing the point … and if it’s the only reason we come to Him (or the only reason we give others to come to Him) then we are more than just ‘missing the point’ …

The purpose of my Christian faith is not to have a solution for my problems. The purpose of my faith is to have a proper relationship with Jesus, not just as my Savior, but as my God; to know Him, and to make Him known …

Let us not turn to Him (or His Word) in hopes of finding a magic pill to solve our ailments … let us turn to Him (and His Word) because He is God …

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts