Warhorses


'The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue.' - Psalms 33:16-17 ESV
That word salvation in this passage may also be translated in your bible as victory ... or safety ... or deliverance ... but I find salvation quite fitting for the context.

What warhorses do we have in our lives today that seem to promise undue salvation?

What will save us?

Money?

   Retirement?

      Job Security?

         Health?

            Family?

               Friends?

Or perhaps salvation may come in another form ...

Time ... 

   Time on the golf course?
   Time on the water in that boat?
   Time away on that vacation?
   Time away ... well ... anywhere away from where we are?

Don't misunderstand me; being a good steward of the money we have been given, providing for our family by working, or taking care of our health and family are good things. Time spent to recharge on the golf course, water, or vacation can be very good and needful things.

However, so easily for me they can quickly turn to those warhorses if I'm not careful.

Planning a budget and planning for retirement can easily turn from responsible things to manage, to a a warhorse that that I can ride on into financial safety ...

Time spent maintaining my health can quickly turn into a warhorse whispering to the rider "long life my friend" ...

Sounds a lot like an idol ... an I think it is ...

However I find warhorses (for me) harder to see sometimes. I have many things in my life that try and claim idol status; all I have to do sometimes is look where my time and money are spent.

Maybe it's just my mood for the day ... or how I feel God speaking in this moment ... but I find many idols to be quite dark in nature ... something that if pulled into the open and discussed with others (even outside the faith) may not seem so powerful ... pleasant ... or worthy ...

But warhorses ... oh warhorses ... crowds love them ... the world loves them ... even when discussed in public they seem so good ... deceptively good ... their armor shines and people stare in awe ...

You have how much for retirement?! Wow ... 

You make that much money?! Wow ...

You went on that trip?! Wow ... 

You won that race?! Wow ... 

You lost how much weight?! Wow ... 

You have how many friends?! Wow ... 

You own your own business?! Wow ... 

The scary thing is that false teachings inside and outside the church will elevate these things ... health, wealth, and prosperity ... and while I think Scripture is filled with warnings of thinking as such, I love the way Proverbs 30 brings this to light ...

' Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord ?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God.' - Proverbs 30:8-9 ESV

Some recognize a trial and even possible testing when they struggle with money ... a job ... friends ... a business ...

I wonder though how often the real times of testing come when He opens the floodgates of His blessings to see how we manage them ... are we going to fall on our knees in humble surrender with lifted hands in praise ... use these gifts, talents, and time He granted to us to further His work here on earth? ... or are we going to get that glimmer in our eye as we saddle up our shiny new warhorse?

A frightening thing our heart is ... but in all of this ... where do we go from here? Thankfully, it's rather simple ...

Just get alone with our Holy God in surrender to Him and ask Him to reveal to us where we have gone astray and got on a warhorse ... and when He points at your warhorse, get off ...

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts