See The Future


There is a game that I enjoy playing called "Exploding Kittens". Many of you have probably heard of it, but if not, no worries, you don't need to understand the game to understand my point!

There is this one card that allows you to "See The Future" by looking at the top 3 cards of the deck that are about to be drawn in future turns. By knowing what is coming, you can plan ahead and potentially make a move that will help you win the game.

I was pondering this morning what this would look like in real life. Not cards of course, but truly seeing the future. After all, as most of you know from what I share, I struggle with anxiety. Most of my anxiety is surrounded by the two words "What if?".

So "What If" I could have the opportunity to see the future? I wouldn't have to wonder, right? I would know ... and could plan accordingly!

I would like to believe it may be similar to the common thought of lottery or falling into a windfall of money - that I would manage this resource (knowledge/money) appropriately and well - and use it to solve problems ... do good ...

But I fear that I know the truth ...

I can tell you with much confidence what my future holds:

   Blessings and Trials
      Laughs and Tears
         Life and Death
            Victory and Defeat
               Joy and Heartache

Maybe you have long come to the same conclusion that I have ...

I don't want to know.

Just look at social media; it brings much good, but also much conflict. We are just not meant to process this much information - this much news - this much hurt - this much brokenness.

If I actually peered into my future, I may try to convince myself that I will focus on the blue words above, but in reality, I would probably be drawn to the ones in red ...

So instead ... I draw myself to other words written 'in red' ...

'And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? [...] But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. ' Matthew 6:27,33-34

There is only ONE who can process all the information that social media tries to throw at us and infinitely more ... there is only ONE that is able and capable and good to manage our future ... there is only ONE that knows what truly is ahead ... and HE said don't worry about it ...

So I must not worry about it ...

Planning is good and wise - and when we are given information to help us do so, may we do it in prayer and counsel with Him ... but until that future is revealed, let us live in the present, learn from our past, and let the future stay in the future ...

One thing that is more frightening than not knowing the future is actually knowing it ...

May I stop trying to peer ahead ...

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts