Busy [Lazy]


I do not think any of us leads a life at work so busy where we are unable to pull away for a meal, cup of coffee, or even a bathroom break. I am sure that if so, it would break several labor laws!

So to my Christian brothers and sisters – can we find time to pull away for Him at all, even if just for a few moments during our busy days?

“Daniel renounced certain activities and engaged in daily prayer and devotion. He somehow managed to feed himself spiritually, and blossomed into an extraordinary man of God – despite his hostile environment. What is your plan, in the midst of your busy day, for not leaving the nurturing of your interior life with God to chance?” – Peter Scazzero (Daniel 1, Daniel 6)

As I've reflected on before, what if I replaced those small cracks of my day that I too often fill with scrolling through my feed with something else ...

What if instead of checking those notifications I exchanged them for ... well ... maybe:
  • A brief silent prayer before a meeting ... 
  • Opening my Bible app and exchanging 90 seconds of my busy life for a few Life filling verses ...
  • Maybe just simply look at all of the faces around me that God loves just as much as me ... 

Most of the time I don't think we're too busy for God - we're just too lazy for God

Two things come to mind that I want to share ...

1) I've gotten much better over the past 10 years, but busyness always wants to pull me away. Work, home, hobbies, Facebook, whatever ... so this is not a path where I can get to a good place and hit the cruise control button. Being intentional will always be necessary ... just like it is in your marriage, your family, and even the gym ...

2) You know that feeling when you're hungry and you hit your favorite restaurant? (for me it's often sushi!) ... that picture above ... my mouth started to water when I added it to this blog! Well ... here's the thing ... the more I nurture this relationship with God ... the more I noticed something: I crave God. There are times when I haven't been in the Word for a few days, and I find my quiet corner, that I truly have that same hunger feeling when I open His book! I'm so excited at times for what He may reveal to me in prayer or through the Word in that time we have set aside.

Does it happen every time? No, sometimes my mind is so busy that I spend half the time just trying to get out of my own head and in the moment ... but it has been happening ... more ... and more ...

After all, the more time I make for my wife (date nights, talks, reading together, sharing together) our intimacy grows incredibly ... just the same as with Him ... the more I'm nurturing our relationship, the deeper we grow together.

So all I want to do is simply encourage you (and remind myself - after all that's why I journal/blog) that we must continue to be intentional about nurturing our relationship with God ...

Let's crave Him together and accept the courage we already have through the Holy Spirit to go where He calls ...

His,
~Matt

My referenced post above from 2014 ...



Comments

Popular Posts