Reflections and Self Assessment


"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it." - 1 Corinthians 9:24 ESV

So how are we doing in this race?

Sometimes for me it's easy to be very critical of myself, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. However, if we are honest with ourselves, there are probably areas in our life that we are strong in as well as the areas we struggle ...

      Running?

In what areas of my life am I running towards God?

   In what areas of my life am I running away from Him?
      ...or maybe just in circles?

     Walking?

   Are there areas of my life where I'm walking with Him?
        In a valley? On a mountaintop?

   Am I leading this walk of ours, or am I letting Him lead?

   Am I talking to Him that walks with me, or just focused on other things than the Precious Company I am with?

     Spectating?

Is there a race going on that I'm sitting back watching where He has called me to participate?

   Is there a spectator sport going on in my life, my work, my family, where taunting cheers from the crowd are finding themselves directed at the one in the middle of the arena - being hurt - that I need to stand and protect?

     Just stuck at home?

Or ... am I not running, walking, or even spectating ... but rather sitting on my couch not even aware of the race that is going on?

Is God our hobby? Is God our occupation? Or is God our pre-occupation ... where everything in our life is centered and rooted?

It may not be perfect, but we must try to make sure that He is not part of our life, but rather our Life Itself.

As a Christian, I am sure that there are areas of your life where God is working, and you are even striving or contending well. Just because you may be in the midst of a battle doesn't mean you are not contending well ...

     What we often perceive as victory is not victory ... victory is God Himself.

So where to go from here?

Find a quiet place this weekend ... and every weekend ... to more than just sit and talk to God ... but sit with Him and listen ... rest ... reflect.

And PLEASE let God wash you with thoughts of "well done" my child ... because as worthless as we feel about ourselves sometimes, He never feels that about us ... accept His love ... accept His praise ... accept His thanks ... allow Him to reveal to you areas in your life where you are running well ...

... and then just listen for where He is calling you next ... to get off the couch ... or to stop spectating ... or to move from that walk to run ... or maybe ... stop running the wrong race and just walk with Him a while as He guides you back to His Path, Daily ...

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts