Kill Us -or- Fill Us



Some things will most certainly kill us.

Jumping out of an airplane for instance ... without a parachute; pretty likely! Perhaps stepping out into the street right in front of a beer truck; not gonna end good. I do think that indulging in Coney Dogs with Paczki buns may induce the same fate ... but that's just me, who knows ...

... they do kinda look tasty ... in an odd way.

However I have to admit that at times I treat God's calling as if it would do the same. There are times where I feel following His call will most surely lead to pain, suffering, and loss.

When I pray the prayer

     God, make me more like your Son Jesus

and dare to end it with

               ...whatever it takes.

I feel as though God is going to reach down from His Throne and rip away everything dear to me (maybe even my life) to teach me how to rely on Him more. Why? I don't know - probably the anxiety demon in me - but I tend to jump to conclusions that aren't always logical, nor even reasonable.

Could He? Sure ...

After all, suffering ... sacrifice ... laying down my life ... these are all words very familiar to us Christians.

However I think Oswald Chambers strikes a critical thought here when he said this ...

"Jesus does not ask me to die for Him, but to lay down my life for Him."

Sounds a lot like Romans 12:1 doesn't it?

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." Romans 12:1 (ESV)
Another guy that went by the name John the Baptist said it pretty well as noted in the Gospel of John

"He must increase, but I must decrease." - John 3:30 (ESV)
However may we not be fooled ... this laying down of our life as a living sacrifice is far more difficult than actually dying. After all - we would be dead - hard to complain here on earth about how hard it is being dead!

But are you ... am I ... are we ... ready to give up ... ourself ... to be used by Him?

Can we lay our will down ... for His?

Just know this - I have met many missionaries, and many who sacrifice so much for those with so little, and many who have offered their service to those in need and have put their own self, finances, and comfort aside - and I have yet to sit down with any of them that have not been filled with so much love and blessings in their life.

Some tired, some exhausted, and some wondering how God will provide for them so that they could continue with their next step ... but no regrets ...

God does not wish us dead or in poverty ... but He does want sacrifice ... He simply wants us.

May we trust Him wherever He calls us, and may we pray to be emptied of us, and filled with Him.

Some things will kill us - Some things will fill us - Which one do we choose?


I've had just enough of the spotlight when it burns bright
To see how it gets in the blood
And I've tasted my share of the sweet life and the wild ride
And found a little is not quite enough

I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with You

I've seen just enough of the quick buys of the best lies
To know how prodigals can be drawn away
I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with You

'Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to You, compared to You
'Cause everything is a lesser thing
Compared to You so why surrender all?

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me so I can be
Lord empty me of me so I can be filled with You
Oh, filled with You, empty me

Comments

Popular Posts