Cautious Beauty




My wife and I decided to take our daughter on a walk at a nearby park this afternoon. There were quite a few deer that we got to see, including one that was obviously very used to us humans! Down the road she walked as we headed towards her. I would have thought eventually she would bolt into the woods and let us by; not quite! After this picture above my daughter kept getting closer and closer until I had to hold her back and wait until it was safe to pass. (all the while hearing the wise words of caution from my wife behind me)

Afraid of a deer? Not so much afraid, but I appreciate the power that a feeding animal can show off with it's hooves or head as you approach it, especially to a 3 year old body, and from a young energetic deer built of lean muscle.


Beautiful, graceful, docile, and often gentle ... yet still warrants caution.
One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless. (Proverbs 14:16 ESV)
Evil deer? Perhaps if you tune into to some late night zombie deer apocalypse flick on television, but I think my point is a bit more fundamental. To be cautious is wise, especially when evil is involved; and carelessness is the work of a fool.

If there is one tip that I could offer to my peers, and future generations it is this; slow down. To quote a song: "We're all one phone call from our knees."

Perhaps right now you or I are about to walk into a situation where life may take its hooves and hit us in the chest. Perhaps you or I hear that whisper of Love Himself telling us to stop, hold His hand, and take caution. Perhaps you or I just want to reach out our hand and pet this beautiful looking object, telling ourselves that it's just a moment, we have this under control. Perhaps you or I are drawn to the beauty of this world and are about to throw caution into the wind as the world tells us to "follow our heart". Perhaps.

If we are ...
One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless.
God Speed,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts