Collisions, Insurance, and Assurance

This afternoon I was going on some errands at lunch; bank, bank, auto parts store, and finally a neighborhood store to pick up a handful of quick 4x6 prints to fill my fridge with some recent memories. On the way out, my truck was backed into by another vehicle. The small dent in my truck and a cracked piece of glass was nothing compared to what I saw when I stepped out and looked at the other vehicle!
Notice the dent under my tail light? (and some cracked glass)

A slightly different story for this poor vehicle!

Nobody hurt, friendly exchange, and even some laughter at the comparison in damage! I don't recall much other than being hit, but even if they were pulling out fast (which I'll assume they were) I still am surprised at what a seemingly minor impact can accomplish.

Have you ever thought of what a single harsh word from your mouth can do to another? A shove? Rolled eyes? Crude joke? Sarcastic comment? Inappropriate tease? A jab back?

Have you ever returned someone giving you a ding, with a smash?

There are however other types of collisions, those that are more serious; much like there are other types of hurts, pains, and destruction. Adultery, abortion, death, rejection, rape, murder, abuse, etc.

With an insured vehicle, dents, bangs, and smashed glass can all get repaired, and even the owner will hardly know the difference. In fact, sometimes it's even better than before! However with an individual, healing doesn't quite come quickly if really ever for some. Painful memories become burdens that we struggle to let go, and hurtful people seem to find ways of lingering in our broken minds and hearts.

Yet admits all that, there is one Source of true renewal ... this is not insurance, but assurance ... 
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)
Notice the passage does not read that the 'hard' has passed away and the 'easy' has come. Hardly, in fact much of our Christian walk is of struggle, rejection, and suffering. Yet even in the middle of this struggle, rejection, and suffering, He grants us peace, joy, and love. This reward is more than this world could ever offer. What's the trade off? 100 years of finite wealth compared to eternity with the Creator of the Universe as heirs?

Bad trade brother or sister, tap out! You may have to seek peace and pursue it, but you will find it!

I pray each time I see another accident, minor or major, that after praying for God's hand in that situation, that I remember and recall my assurance. That I remember and recall my hurts, and hurts to others. That I remember and recall that I was made new. That I remember and recall that life is not easy, nor is it meant to be, but I have promises of peace, love, and joy that are as true now as they were when Jesus spoke them in the flesh 2000 years ago.

They are true for you too, and I pray you accept them if you have not yet already from the only Source that can provide.

His,
~Matthew

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1 ESV)

Comments

Popular Posts