What is my Foundation?

My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ, the solid rock, I stand
all other ground is sinking sand

My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less
Edward Mole (1834)


 

Sitting under the preaching of Isaiah at church, we have now been going through the oracles against the nations for the last several weeks. We see so clearly the repercussions (and emptiness) of putting our hope in anything or anyone other than God. When being asked today "What is your foundation?" I was compelled to take inventory ... 

There is nothing wrong with answering (and frankly as believers I hope we can often answer): "The storms blow, but I feel my feet firmly on the Rock."

Much has been going on in my life ... and while I know without a doubt my feet are on the Rock (as He placed me there) I do feel as though I've left the windows open, the moonroof on my car open, and even the garage open, as I sit inside on my wet couch watching my lawn chairs get blown around ... !

In a storm, when you shut the windows as the winds begin to roar, the silence itself gives us a sense of protection. It reminds us that while a storm rages outside, you are safe inside. So too is what we have in Christ ...

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

So as I saw my lawn chairs blowing around, I realized that in my desire for control and self-sufficiency (things that always seem to creep back in) my eyes and hope were shifting away from my only true Deliverer. So I drew near to the Throne of Grace ... 

Even with my rain soaked house, sitting with the LORD in quiet reflection, prayer, writing this very journal entry, and meditation on His Word, His sovereign care seems to have simply closed the windows and dried my wet home. The storms are still there, but I can take a deep breath in His loving protection as I watch the storms from the safety of my Shelter ... 

Always keep checking your windows ... 

His,
~Matt

The picture of the cave you see? It's not quite a cave actually - it's only about the side of my fist! My daughter dug a tunnel on the beach, and when placing my phone inside to take a picture, it revealed a much different perspective! One that may seem beautiful, interesting, larger than it is, and perhaps even somewhat solid - but a single wave destroyed this as if it never existed. Choose your Foundation well.


Comments

Popular Posts