Idol Clutter


I've shared this passage in 2012, and again in 2014. Now after my journal entry yesterday, and commenting on the need for a self-assessment, I will share it again today ...

Isaiah on the foolishness of idolatry and making idols/figures to worship ...

'He cuts down cedars, or he chooses a cypress tree or an oak and lets it grow strong among the trees of the forest. He plants a cedar and the rain nourishes it. Then it becomes fuel for a man. He takes a part of it and warms himself; he kindles a fire and bakes bread. Also he makes a god and worships it; he makes it an idol and falls down before it. Half of it he burns in the fire. Over the half he eats meat; he roasts it and is satisfied. Also he warms himself and says, "Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire!" And the rest of it he makes into a god, his idol, and falls down to it and worships it. He prays to it and says, "Deliver me, for you are my god!" He feeds on ashes; a deluded heart has led him astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, "Is there not a lie in my right hand?" ' - Isaiah 44:14-17,20

"Well Matt, we don't worship physical idols today."

First of all, many still do, literally ...

However as a Christian, this foolishness continues today, and can lead us in many directions; and all directions but one lead away from Him. So should we not simply ask ourselves the question that those Isaiah referred to in the passage above just couldn't? Their heart was so deluded that they just could not bring themselves to ask one simple question?

"Is there not a lie in my right hand?"

What is in your right hand right now? A phone? Sure ... let's start there ...

"Oh Matt, let's not compare my phone (that I will admit I use too much) to an actual idol that I worship and go to for being saved."

So sure about that? When you get bad news ... frustrating news ... angry news ... amazing news ... beautiful news ... who do you reach out to first? Do you fall on your knees and offer Thanksgiving, Confession, or Adoration? Do you seek His counsel first and foremost? Because after all ... it is HIM that is the only one worthy and capable of truly helping you.

Or ... or do you text someone ... call someone ... update a status ... reply to that comment ... tweet away ...

"But that's just ... " No! That is idolatry and lack of faith ...

And if you think I'm preaching my righteousness *raises hand* then don't forget these journal entries are for me first and foremost ... guilty as charged ...

So let's smash some idols, OK?

It may not be the phone, but how we use our phone ...
It may not be our job, but how we view our job ...
It may not be our family and children but how we view them ...
It may not be our health but how we view it ...
It may not be our hobbies, but how we view them ...

Idol clutter happens, we are prone to it ... but we need to take regular time to reassess and clean up!

Time to dethrone some things and make Him Lord of our life, not just Savior ... He's on the Throne of the Universe, so let's make sure we prepare His Throne in our heart ...

His,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts