Ups and Downs


A few weeks ago, as I was backstage at church waiting to go worship, one of the youth groups walked into the green room and sat down. Shortly after they came in they began one of their regular discussions together, this time it was: "Ups, Downs, where did you see God?"

They went around the room each sharing a high point over the past week, a low point, and where they saw God. This simple routine sparked something in me that burned so brightly I just couldn't ignore it; what an awesome, short, focused, opportunity for reflection. You may be sitting there unsure why this was so impactful to me, but stop and think about the opportunities that this can bring; Spiritually, relationally, individually and communal.
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 ESV)
Our God is a God of memorial; in our own journey, in our families journey, and in the journeys of the past and those yet to come. He encourages us to reflect and remember. It reminds me of the "Ebenezer" stone we have on our fireplace mantle with the Scripture written on it from 1 Samuel 7:
"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, “Till now the LORD has helped us.” (1 Samuel 7:12 ESV)
God can show His face during incredible moments of peace, healing, power, guidance, and love (and countless other ways). Yet every day we are presented with opportunities to see Him and experience Him more. He does not hide, but He doesn't shout for attention either (even though it is impossible to truly ignore). We just need to look.

This little routine is not a childhood reflection. This is not a focus for the youth. This is a call to reflect and remember for all of us ...

So me? This weekend?

Ups: Clearly the taste of Spring! The weather, the garden, the sun ... it sparks so many emotions, and I am quite excited for the change of seasons!

Downs: Work was difficult this week. Saturday and Sunday both included some needed time on projects, and while I have a job that balances my work and home life well usually, sometimes, like this weekend, it calls for some extra attention. It was acceptable, but clearly not fun.

Where I saw God: Planting seeds! I could probably reflect for hours on this action, not only metaphorically, but physically as well. The amazing Hand of God that is seen in Creation speaks so loudly to me the more I reflect on it. Chaos and chance have no place here, and I see it more clearly each day. How awesome is our God.

So how about you? I encourage you to start this in your home, if you don't already. This has brought some amazing conversation with my wife, my children, and with God and I ...

Praising the Ups,
Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts