The Work Resumes

Today is a special day for me ...



Five years ago today I stood in front of hundreds of people and was baptized in the name of Christ Jesus. It took me almost 30 years to not only truly find Him, but to find my need and love for the Cross as well. In return, He has blessed me with His presence and guidance in every moment of every day; if I should choose to seek Him.

So as I picked up my Bible today, I continued reading Nehemiah. As Nehemiah is organizing the rebuilding of these walls, and progress is being made, the enemy begins to feel threatened and plans to launch attacks. An enemy does not like to see progress from their opposition. However Nehemiah and the team rallied, supported, and protected each other so that the work could resume. Yet all the while they worked, they stood ready with their swords at their side, and prepared for the attacks of the enemy. They "labored with one hand, and held their weapon in the other" (Nehemiah 4:17).

All this reminded me of my journey these past 5 years. Once I started building, the enemy attacked. Some of the attacks surprised me, and came from those very close to me, while some from distant sources. Yet I hear the rally cries for Christ, and even amidst the attacks, my heart continues to grow stronger, more at peace, and joy filled. I can only pray that those who oppose me find the same joy, freedom, and life that I have found one day as well.

Additionally, over the past five years, I have discovered something else as well. While I love and will continue to study how He is revealed not only in the Word, but science and history, what draws me close to Him is not discovering Him with my head, but with my heart. Texts, research, and other information is all great, but nothing reveals Him more to me than simply sitting down with Him and talking. His revelation through prayer is more powerful than I ever would have thought.

I need not ponder the past 5 years too much, as I don't live for yesterday or tomorrow, but I live for today. So today my work continues; one hand on the task at hand, and the other on my sword.

"Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,"
(Ephesians 6:14-17 ESV)
Thank You for this journey Abba ...

At the ready, for Christ,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts