Seeing Beyond the Reflection





While I don't walk around street preaching, I make no intention of hiding my faith either. If you know me personally, you know at the very least Whom I follow. Some would tell me I share my faith too little, some would call me a Jesus Freak; I find it rather fascinating the paradox that those two viewpoints can put me in. In either case my point is simple; I represent Christ. Because I do so publically, it also creates a deep sense of responsibility.
"You who boast in the law dishonor God by breaking the law. For, as it is written, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.” (Romans 2:23-24 ESV)
Perhaps we could start a study on this passage but I think we over complicate His Word way too often. What I see here is simply people preaching a platform that others see straight through and thus creating distaste for that very platform they preach. And since that platform is God, and those that misrepresent Him do Him a disservice, it's an issue.

The platform that I boast from can not come from religion and rules; preaching the very things I struggle with. While I think there can be some beauty in some of the religious traditions, my boasting needs to come from Christ and what He represents; Holiness, Love, Forgiveness, Truth, Salvation, Grace, Mercy, etc.

Jesus preached some hard and serious Truths, no question. However He also lived a life defined by relationship. May I continue to study His life and have the courage to live more like Him every day; with my friends, or those who oppose me. It is that way of life that I want to reflect, not a bunch of rules. When someone looks beyond my reflection, may they not see a man and his rules, but rather a stumbling and honest man reaching out for His steady and Holy God.

~Matthew


Comments

Popular Posts