Daddy, how can I tell you're a Christian?



Or better yet, I won't wait for the question to come to me; I'll ask them myself.

What would they say? One thing is for sure, I think I would get an honest answer. I plan to ask this question tomorrow. I bet my kids will be throwing down some theology, but I wonder if their response will make me feel more like a follower of Christ, or a pharisee. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a train of guilt; it's just a good reality check. I want to make sure they not only know the words, but see them being acted out ... in me.
"You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." (Deuteronomy 11:19 ESV)
When all is said and done, with mistakes and bumps in the road, if my children see a life lived for Christ, and not just a life that spoke of Christ, then I did my job. It's not my job to prepare them for Harvard, but it is my job to prepare them for Heaven.

While I am a busy dad of 4, I still feel His tugging on my heart for something amazing; even more than what He's led me to thus far. I don't know what it is (yet), but I know I'm almost done with a few things He wants me to prepare first. It's so exciting! I made a promise that these next 5 years are going to be amazing, and I know they are!

Father, may my children see Christ not just in words, but in love and action through your servant. You promise such an amazing joyful life, of which I am just beginning to taste, and it is good! Thank you! Please continue to call my children as I know you have wonderful plans for them! 

May these next 5 years bring Christ to life in this family like never before! Not out of rules, and rituals; but out of servitude, joy, and excitement (even in tribulation).

Building,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts