Getting Upside Down!





I think I've been getting upside down again for a while; spending time in His Word more for information, than for transformation.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2 ESV)
I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong in reading Scripture for information, but it's wrong when I stop reflecting on that information that I've read. As I continue to read through 1 Kings, I am about to come to a point when King Solomon walks away from God. It's heartbreaking, truly, to see such a great king who was blessed with so much, raise his hands and praise God for all he has and speak beautiful words, only to know his upcoming choices.


1 Kings 8 captures blessings, prayers of dedication, a benediction, and even an amazing amount of offerings to the Lord; yet the promise and warning that begins in chapter 9 is seemingly forgotten by Solomon. It's a reminder for me how quick we can backslide and how easily we get caught up in our own self.


I'm so task oriented, and in many ways that can be a blessing. However, in some ways, like reading His Word, it can get me checking a box that I read something rather than letting Him work on me. Whether it be prayer, Scripture, or a teaching, I need to start taking more time reflecting again.
that he may incline our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways and to keep his commandments, his statutes, and his rules, which he commanded our fathers. (1 Kings 8:58 ESV)
Thank You for continuing to incline my heart to You, and may I get rightside up again! :)


His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts