Time to Fly

I'm not sure if you know the story or not but for me this speaks wonderfully of trust in God. When the Israelites got near the "promised land" they sent spies to go check it out. The spies came back and were terrified of the warriors that were in the land and feared for their life. Rather then thinking back to the amazing signs and miracles that God has blessed them with all the way here, they now yet again fall into their pattern of not trusting God. Caleb and Joshua on the other hand saw their fallacy:

"And Joshua the son of Nun and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had spied out the land, tore their clothes and said to all the congregation of the people of Israel, “The land, which we passed through to spy it out, is an exceedingly good land. If the Lord delights in us, he will bring us into this land and give it to us, a land that flows with milk and honey. Only do not rebel against the Lord. And do not fear the people of the land, for they are bread for us. Their protection is removed from them, and the Lord is with us; do not fear them.” Numbers 14:6-9 (ESV)



Although I love this story, too often in my life I find myself in the place of the Israelites, not Caleb or Joshua. I want to wait until all my ducks are in a row before I make my move; take the step. "Sure God I'll walk across that valley on this beam here but only until they are finished setting up the safety nets and mats so if I fall and You don't catch me, I'll still be OK". That's not faith in God, that's faith in me; self idolatry. This also ties back into a couple other blogs about expectations and backup plans ...

Thankfully I have a heart that doesn't want that to be me. Thankfully I have a Savior who is walking with me on this journey encouraging me to take bigger leaps of faith. Leap by leap, hop by hop, until one day I take my final hop ... and find out I'm flying! :)

My ducks will never be in such a way that will satisfy me so I need to stop worrying about that. I'm not going to be the one duck sitting on the frozen pond watching the others fly around me ... I'm not ... I'm not ...

Working on my wings ...
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts