Overflowing


' You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.' - Psalms 23:5

What do you think of when you read "my cup overflows"?

I used to picture ... well ... literally a cup overflowing! Especially since the picture painted in that passage is God setting a table for us. However, isn't that kind of making a bit of a mess? Is that really what this passage is illustrating? Me sitting at the table with my Lord as I watch my cup overflow? Pouring out onto the table?

We are not meant to just idly collect; we are meant to share, and pour out into others with what we have received ...

As Trevor Joy put it, “We are not a cup for God‘s love, but rather a conduit."

Now when asked the same question, I like to picture this overflowing as a series of rivers with waterfalls. Powered by the Glacier of God as He pours Himself downstream into others; lakes, streams; rivers ... and in turn they continue to pour themselves into other bodies of water ... an ever moving source of His love and blessing.

Yet if I'm honest, I think I sit staring at my cup far too often as it is being poured into ... and overflowing ... not in the way He intended.

Undoubtedly like me you may see yourself as a messy overflowing cup in some areas ... but hopefully you also see how He has shaped you into His waterfall for others in other areas ... let's enjoy drinking from His Cup He pours out for us ... but let's just keep the water moving!

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts