Finish The Race

Looking back, I see how my fears have changed over time. Things I used to fear (public speaking and flying for example) have been replaced with others. As a parent, husband, and provider for my family, some of my fears I now have are more 'what if' based around things I can't control with respect to them and what the future holds. Don't get me wrong, many of my fears are still quite selfish when I think about it, but regardless, they continue to change as my journey on this spinning rock ages on.

There is one fear however that is perhaps ... helpful? It keeps me focused.

I fear complacency, laziness, and apathy. I fear watching a burning flame for Christ dwindle into a spark, buried by the everyday routine of life. I fear hiding behind the doctrine of Grace, and forgetting the doctrine of suffering ... serving ... and sacrifice.



As I reached to grab my cross this morning, it really just hit me yet again. I sat down on the bed and just stared at this Image ... this Image with a Story. It's not jewelry, it's not advertisement, and it's even more than a reminder. 

It's a charge ... a calling ... a purpose.

I want to finish well.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
2 Timothy 4:7 ESV

As I clutched the cross, threw it around my neck, I was also reminded of another important goal; starting well. A need to reflect on my daily reliance upon Him each and every morning.

In Christ,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts