Shadow of the Cross

Discipleship continues to challenge me, and I seem to find passages reminding me of The Great Commission often. Last night was no exception as I began to read through Zechariah. A particular verse from a passage in chapter 3 reminded me of this call yet again.
In that day, declares the LORD of hosts, every one of you will invite his neighbor to come under his vine and under his fig tree. (Zechariah 3:10 ESV)
As always, I encourage you to read in context. This particular prophecy (chapter 3) surrounds Joshua and ultimately the coming Messiah. That day refers to the fulfillment of the prophecy and the invitation is, well, a call to invite.

Regardless if we look at this passage in the context of earlier times (Joshua), or prophetically (Jesus the Messiah), we are in fact living in that day that is spoken of in this passage. With this knowledge I ask myself two questions:

  1. Am I living out a life that reflects the recognition of my amazing privilege I have being witness to His revealed promise in the Messiah through Jesus Christ? Do I recognize the Glory of that day that has been revealed?
  2. Am I inviting my neighbors to come under His vine and fig tree? Am I inviting others to be part of this amazing family and reap its fruit?
Or perhaps there is just one question that sums my thoughts up ...

Are we living a life in the shadow of the Cross, or are we living a life that casts a shadow on the cross?

Comments

Popular Posts