Loopholes and Linguistics

Sometimes we like running ...

Sometimes we like running from things ...


Sometimes we like running from the Truth ... take this verse for instance:
"No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God." - (1 John 3:9 ESV)
As a Christian, we can and should be immediately convicted by the sins present in our life. Perhaps I'm the only Christian that struggles at times with pride, gossip, anger, etc. but verses like this tend to stop me in my [reading] tracks. Does this reflect me I ask?

Then comes the analysis of the words, the linguistics break out, and translations are compared to the Greek (or Hebrew) in hopes to have a deeper insight into the passage. Ah! It says "practice" of sinning - phew! I'm good then, after all, since I'm working on that issues, it's not like I have a "practice" of doing it ... sure it's a pattern, but tomorrow I'll start fresh! Right? Correct?

We are correct (in a way) - the only One perfect in Heaven will be God and the only thing man-made in heaven will be Christ's wounds. However, can we just read the Text?

STOP sinning ... just stop! No loopholes, no linguistics, just stop!

This isn't a debate, a courtroom, a discussion, an English class, so let's just read the Text and apply it to our life - not the other way around.

I don't want a deeper understanding of Theology more than I want a deeper relationship with Jesus, so may my theology reflect that ...

His,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts