His Fire

Amidst the prophecy, warnings, destruction, protection, promises, and visions. Amidst the messages; some easy to understand, some difficult, and some frighteningly clear. Amidst the historical chaos of the time God's people were in, there is much to sit with in these words from Zechariah.

Today however, Zechariah 13:9 was yet again shown to me as a reminder of what the remnant of God's people will see. Not just fires of persecution or judgement, but fires of refinement. I've spoken, written, and thought about this before, but I will do so again.

And I will put this third into the fire,
and refine them as one refines silver,
and test them as gold is tested.
They will call upon my name,
and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘They are my people’;
and they will say, ‘The LORD is my God.’”


I don't think I will ever choose to step into the fire.
     I don't think I will ever feel I'm ready.
          I don't think I will ever like being in the fire.

... yet I trust Him.

When I look back, all of my growth has been after the refining fire; not in days of plenty, but learned through days in need.

The comforting part is that He knows when I'm ready for the fire. While I may not willfully step into the flames, I willfully step into His Hand; a hand that at times will guide me there. Left unrefined, we remain in our current state. Yet once refined, we are made into something much more beautiful, pure, and better yet, useful!

May we continue to surrender to His will in the chaos of our lives, and let His loving, guiding, and all-knowing hand carry us into ... and out of ... His Fire.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts