The Off-Season Life


Waking up in my pop-up camper, on a virtually vacant campground early in the season, putting on a pot of coffee, and opening up my Bible and devotional leaves me feeling amazingly content, relaxed, and focused. My life has been far more busy and stressful lately (at least I've let it be), and I have waited for these moments during the craziness of life. It's a great time to refocus, regenerate, and relax.

However, this is not reality. Perhaps better said, this is not my typical environment. The problem is that while I'm focused in this environment, I'm far less focused outside of it. While I'm relaxed in this environment, I'm far less relaxed outside of it. Quiet time is great, and a biblical need and model that Christ Himself displayed, but how am I when the quiet time is over?
"preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching." (2 Timothy 4:2 ESV)
In season and out of season. Whether my campground is quiet, or full of people and noise. Whether my life is taking a pause, or full of tasks, expectations, and work. Am I at my best only during my downtime? Am I waiting to feel inspired during these times alone, or am I letting myself be inspired by Him in the everyday moments of my life?
The proof that our relationship is right with God is that we do our best whether we feel inspired or not. - Oswald Chambers
We have been given the peace of God. (Philippians 4:7)
We have been given the God of Peace Himself. (Philippians 4:8)

These gifts of peace are for both our in-season life, and our off-season life. They are given to us so that we can be effective for His kingdom both in the times we feel inspired, and all the times between. I pray I learn to enjoy the quiet moments, but that my effectiveness for Him is seen in all the moments.

Peace,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts