Seek, not Think

Some of the buildings along the Rhine

I had the privilege to travel to Köln Germany on business a couple weeks ago. It was my 2nd trip, and another short stay (only four days during the work week). I did however find myself wandering the town in the evenings after dinner just trying to explore and find some photos to take back and remember. The scenes were beautiful and something that I will always have to reflect on.

The Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom)

The Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom)

I've often been thinking lately (and sharing with others) that if it wasn't for intentionally getting out, I could have easily collapsed on my bed at the hotel after work, thought about home, and just went to bed. I however chose to take my camera, tripod, and walking shoes, on a mission to seek out the city as if on a quest; sometimes with specific places to photograph and visit. 

That is in fact what I want to talk about; seeking.

Many times in Scripture I come across passages about seeking; seeking Him, seeking peace, seeking His Kingdom. In particular one time Jesus was talking about worry, anxiety, and how we fret too much over the things of this world. We should be content knowing that God loves us and will care for our needs. He ends with a simple direction for our focus:
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness..." (Matthew 6:33a)
Did you ever think about what it means to seek first the kingdom of God?

Seek as defined both in the current dictionary, as well as my favorite dictionary from 1828 written by Noah Webster, is as follows: To go in search, or quest of.

Search ... Quest ...

Laying in my hotel at night, I could have thought about the city, the sites, the opportunities, and the memories I could be creating. But instead I moved. I actively took a step to search the city, to make a quest of what I wanted to do, and set out to accomplish it.

This is how He wants us to be. Not just meditating on His kingdom, His Word, and what it looks like; but to actively pursue it!
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things [that you need] will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33)
This is not about health, wealth, and prosperity. It is about God meeting our real needs, some of which we don't understand or know we even need. However first ... first ... we must seek Him out, seek His kingdom, seek His righteousness." Not by sitting and pondering in comfort and complacency, but actively pursuing Him where we are planted, right now!

"Many of us refuse to grow where God plants us." - Oswald Chambers

This is not about waiting until your 10 year plan, 5 year plan, or next year plan comes to fruition. You are where God needs you to be right now. That is His plan ... now. So look around your home, workplace, church, and community, and see where He is wanting to use you to spread His kingdom message.

May we not just think of Him, may we actively seek Him.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts