Out Giving God


 
Well, I have so many thoughts that I have jotted down over the past few weeks I hardly know where to start. Before I get stuck in a rut amidst all the treasures of His Word, I know I must at least start somewhere. After all I have been given by God, I thought it fitting to start in the first book, and seventeenth chapter, of Chronicles.
Just some of my thoughts ...
As I lay on my bed in Sao Paulo, Brazil, staring out into the busy world out my window that late evening, I come across this chapter. It opens with a simple humbling realization from David.
Now when David lived in his house, David said to Nathan the prophet, “Behold, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent.” (1 Chronicles 17:1 ESV)
I simply paused on that verse for a while and began to see all the areas of my life that lay under the sturdy structure of cedar, while I give God the shed outside. Priorities in my time, my words, my actions, and even my checkbook.

And then I read further; God speaking:
In all places where I have moved with all Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’ (1 Chronicles 17:6 ESV)
A God who deserves everything still shows His humble nature.

Then for a while I lay there thinking about David's heart, and how he must have felt. I think about my amazing God, and His gracious response.

I read on and find these words ...(emphasis added)
Moreover, I declare to you that the LORD will build you a house. (1 Chronicles 17:10b ESV)
I love this. You can't out give God.

I see a heart that was cut, repentant, and willing to be lowered so his God could be raised; and in return, it was blessed even more! Amen!
Then, what do we do when we are presented with such a gift from the Giver of givers?
Accept it graciously!
And now, O LORD, let the word that you have spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house be established forever, and do as you have spoken, (1 Chronicles 17:23 ESV)
Oh sweet Truth ...
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (Matthew 23:12 ESV)

May I continue to become less, so He can become more! 

His,
~
Matthew

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” - CS Lewis

Comments

Popular Posts