An Unbalanced Transaction

Photo Generated from www.wordle.net
What are the things that capture the intentions of my heart? What brings me excitement, what do I long to do, and what financial and social sacrifices do I make for some of these things? What stirs my imagination, what drives me, and what is powerful enough to distract me from other things I'm doing? What tempts me? What if my walls could talk? What if my wallet could talk?
"Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love." Jonah 2:8 (ESV) 
The phrase steadfast love above comes from the translation of the word checed (as pronounced). Other translations use such words as faithfulness, kindness, and even mercy. The transaction between the hope of steadfast love, mercy, and kindness (something everlasting) and vanity (something temporary) is not balanced, yet all too often I stand at the counter and complete the sale.

We all engage in many activities, but what in my life goes beyond engagement? What thing has placed its yoke upon me and is directing me away from the Cross? Keeping me for the contentment and joy that I always find when I get closer to Him? That verse resounds quite loudly; may I never walk away, and forsake something eternal, for the temporary.

Father, I ask that I don't have to be in the belly of a whale, in the pit of my life, before I cry out those words. Inscribe them upon my heart now as a reminder, and may the Spirit of Truth guide me into Your understanding; Your will for my life.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts