Building Hypomonē


My son was sharing with me what he read today in Scripture, which was the first chapter in Peter's second letter.  As the passage described our growing faith, our calling, and some of the building blocks for a life marked by Christ, the term patient endurance came up (v6, emphasis added)
In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone. (2 Peter 1:5-7 NLT)


My ESV translation uses the word steadfastness, but his, and I think quite accurately, translated the word (hypomonē) to patient endurance.

When I think of patience, I often think of something passive; simply waiting. While I have certainly pondered this idea, which in actuality is hardly passive, I have not thought about this other type of patience (under load, trial, or testing of my endurance) nearly as much as I ought.

Today, as my son and I were on our run, I needed to give him some encouragement (and a bit of pushing!) about halfway through the run. I tried relate this during our talk, that while he was eagerly awaiting the end of a run that was rather difficult for him today, he continued to patiently endure the load until the task was completed and the run was at an end. Focusing on the burden (how much longer do I have?) wouldn't have been helpful, but focusing on the finish line, and our encourager is, even while we are under a load.

     Follow Me

These two words that Jesus spoke (multiple times) are some of the most difficult words to put into action. Following Christ can lead to a testing of our faith, that only through patient endurance will we find our journey through.

Today I prayed for someone who walked away from Christ; and it was a departure of the emotions, not mind. Prayers were not answered and circumstances did not turn out in their favor; so they walked away. May my roots always be deep, strong, and firmly planted in His Soil.

Through the trials of life, I want my walk be marked by patient endurance. After all, I have a race to finish; I just need to focus on my Encourager.

His,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts