Progress Bars



So as I eat lunch today, still seeing this image, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts from this morning. The image above (the one that I have been staring at for over two hours!) is as you probably know, a progress bar. Waiting ... waiting ... and more waiting ...

It was a rather long morning, and still this task is not done! However, it offered some time to reflect on this strange little green moving rectangle. What is my progress bar? How am I progressing?

"Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers."  (1 Timothy 4:11-16 ESV, emphasis added of course for my focus)
As you may know, these are words written by the Apostle Paul, to his friend, mentee, and brother in Christ, Timothy. His words are encouraging, not heavy handed, and illustrates a beautiful picture on youth, growth, gifts, and progress. The questions I ask myself from this passage are simply:

What are my gifts?
          What am I devoting myself to?

                    Are they matching up?

It seems like the answer to these questions can help me fill up that progress bar of life ... my calling ... my purpose. The joy of knowing that by keeping this focus not only saves myself, but could potentially save some around me.

What are your God-given gifts? Where is your devotion?

Focusing ... matching ... and progressing ...

His,
~Matt

Comments

Popular Posts