Work; not such a bad word


What is work? Raising a family is a lot of work, and having 4 children myself I can attest to that! However, I hope you can say as easy as I can, that it is also a gift. While it certainly takes time (and money) it pays back beyond measure.

However, when I think of work I often think about my job.

What about Adam? No, not your friend, I mean Adam. Before the fruit was eaten in the garden, what was Adam's job? Did you ever ponder that? I guess I always pictured this Utopian lifestyle of picking fruit, jumping in rivers, and enjoying a life of complete freedom.

Not quite ...

I've always had this idea that due to sin we were now meant to toil and labor and carry this burden of work. While that is partially true, that post-fall we made things more difficult on ourselves, the idea of work was always part of God's plan for us. It never really hit me until now as I read yet again through the second chapter of Genesis that Adam's role, before the fall, included him working.
The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. (Genesis 2:15 ESV)
Work: `abad (labor, work, serve)
Keep: shamar (keep charge, watch, protect)

Work isn't a punishment. It's a gift from God.

One question that enters my mind (and maybe yours) is simply: Do ya know though what I do?!

I know, it may feel at times that while God picked this role for Adam, that our roll doesn't seem so glorious. However no matter if this job is a stepping stone, a final position, or we are currently unable or searching for work, His plan is still His plan, no matter how it may seem. I've heard and I will continue to remember this saying:

You never know when you're going to step into the moment for which God has been preparing you.

You may think that your job is just another job, but I know you (and I) are there for a reason. Let us shine our light while we serve graciously. Trust me, these words are a reminder for myself, I need them ...

Working Graciously,
~Matthew

Comments

Popular Posts